Updated on March 17, 2020
All Second Cup cafés across Canada will offer take out, delivery and drive-thru only, effective immediately. All in-café dining rooms will be closed. As with every decision we have made throughout the crisis, it is our belief that this is the best course of action to protect the health and well-being of our-line staff, our franchisee partners and you, our guests.
Updated on March 13, 2020
To our valued guests,
As concerns around COVID-19 increase here in Canada, we at Second Cup want to reassure our guests, employees and franchise partners that their health and welfare is of paramount importance to us. We know our cafés are the cornerstones of their communities, and as such we are committed to providing a safe café experience to our guests and healthy work environment for our franchise partners and staff.
We have been closely monitoring developments related to the COVID-19 pandemic, both around the world and here in Canada, and have been closely following updates from the WHO and the Public Health Agency of Canada to guide our decisions on procedural changes within our cafés. We want to share some key updates with you about our response to this global health issue, including a summary of the most recent changes we’ve made to our in-café policies.
Today, we announced the following:
- We will now exclusively offer a made-for-you model, with baristas adding modifiers such as milk, cream, non-dairy options or sugar to beverages. Self-serve stations will no longer be in use.
- All Second Cup cafés will no longer be accepting cash. Only debit, credit, gift cards and mobile payments will be accepted. All of our franchise partners have now been empowered to make individual decisions on any additional precautionary measures - up to, and including, closing their dining rooms and offering counter service only, or the temporary closure of their cafés. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us on social media - or call your local café directly - for more information on the status of any Second Cup location.
- Further to our discontinuing the use of personal mugs or travel mugs, we will now extend this policy to include all ceramic mugs, dishware and cutlery.
We are always committed to the highest standard of cleanliness and hygiene in our cafés. As such, these new announcements are in addition to the updates we’ve already made to our café sanitization practices over the past several weeks, notably:
- Increasing the number of times cafés are cleaned daily, from once every two hours to once every hour. All equipment, common area surfaces and washrooms are part of this hourly cleaning - and all employees are being equipped with appropriate protection for this work.
- Providing additional sanitizing supplies to all of our cafés, including alcohol-based hand sanitizer for every washroom.
I also want to continue to encourage our guests to consider using either our drive-thrus (for cafés with this option) or mobile order and pay ahead. We will also be offering a 20% discount on all mobile orders.
While we know the risk level in Canada is currently considered low, we are operating from an abundance of caution, and proactively modifying our policies and procedures to ensure we’re doing our part for the health and safety of the communities we’re in. Please take care of yourself and those close to you during these challenging times.
Steven Pelton President & CEO, Second Cup Coffee Co.